quinta-feira, 7 de agosto de 2008















A Conversation with Master Seung Sahn (North Korea, 1927-2204)










" What is Zen?





What are you?




(Silence.)





Do you understand?




I don't know.





This don't-know mind is you. Zen is understanding


yourself.




Is that all Zen is?




Isn't it enough?




I mean, there must be a final understanding or illumination


that a Zen master has in order to be a Zen master.




All understanding is no understanding. What do you understand? Show me!




(Silence.)




Okay, what is one plus two?




Three.




Why didn't you tell me that? What colour is the sky?




Blue.




Very good! The truth is very simple, yah? But your mind is


complicated; you understand too much. So you could


not answer. But you don't understand one thing.




What?




One plus two equals zero.




I don't see how.




Okay. Suppose someone gives me an apple. I eat it. Then


gives me two more apples. I eat them. All the apples


are gone. So one plus two equals zero.




Hmmm.




You must understand this. Before you were born, you


were zero. Now you are one. In the future, you will die


and again become zero. All things in the universe are like


this; they arise from emptiness and return to emptiness.


So zero equals one, one equals zero.




I see that.




In elementary school, they teach that one plus two


equals three. In our Zen elementary school, we teach


that one plus two equals zero. Wich one is correct?




Both.




If you say 'both', then the space ship cannot go to the


moon. When only one plus two equals three, then it can


reach to the moon. But if one plus two also equals zero,


then on the way the space ship will desappear. So I say,


neither is correct.




Then what would be a proper answer?




'Both' is wrong, so I hit you. Also 'neither' is wrong, so I hit


myself. The first teaching in Buddhism is 'form is


emptiness, emptiness is form.' This means that one


equals zero, zero equals one. But who makes form? Who


makes emptiness? Both form and emptiness are


concepts. Concepts are made by your own thinking.


Descartes said (...)"


To be continued...



in: Anne Bancroft, Op.cit.






Sem comentários: